Thursday, June 14, 2018

More suspension, cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning....

Evening Folks,

Today the high was in the mid 70's where as yesterdays was in the mid 90's.  Interesting weather....
I was hoping that I would be able to start reassembling the suspension but I decided to paint the metal bits and that required a bit more cleaning be done.  I think they look better with the silver paint but if someone wishes to have them plated in the future it should be relatively easy to remove the paint and then plate them, but in the mean time they are protected.
I also worked on removing 50 years of grime from the engine frames and suspension mounting areas, it will be a lot more pleasant to reassemble the fresh parts to the cleaner frames.  Now on to the pictures....
The control arms prior to painting

Cleaned and ready for paint

Brake shield ready for black paint

I was going to clean the bearings up and re-use them but that's not the way it's going to go.  The irregularities you see in the bearing rollers isn't dirt!  This is probably the worst bearing I've ever seen that wasn't seized to an axle.  Very rough!  Jennifer, you wouldn't have gone much further  on these.

Cleaned up the frames, probably can't tell but a lot of grease, dirt and sand came off these rails.  Interestingly I found a crayon marking on the top rail under all the crap.  This marking appears to be the chassis number and is marked on the assembly line.  Tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of it.

The upper control arm after painting, next picture with the lower control arm and axle carrier.


Tomorrow I'll start the reassembly process, really looking forward to cleaning the passenger side parts now,  maybe looking over at the clean drivers side will give me renewed enthusiasm ;-)


"That's All Folks" 

Cheers,
Lynn


5 1/2 hrs

1 comment:

  1. The A arm paint looks perfect and yes, good protection from rust. I can definitely tell the engine frame looks much better. I think I used Simple Green to help dissolve the grease on the 69's frames although simple it was not. Cleaning all that off is a grubby job. Wow. That's a terrible bearing and I don't think I have ever seen a worse one either. It wasn't grumbling? Gas mileage will improve with the new bearings. :-)

    ReplyDelete