Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Replacing the output shaft seals and bearings

 Not a lot of meat in this post but I have been able to get a little bit of garage time in over the past week or two.


New bearings for the output shaft on the differential, I was replacing the seals only to discover that the outermost bearing on either side were bad, low oil perhaps at some point in the past?

Setting the end play on the output shaft, the play is set by the thickness of the shims between the bearings.  The only way that I could set the right amount of end play/free play was to assemble the unit without the seal check and repeat till I had the necessary 1-3/1000th" play. this way I could get the bearing puller on the inside race of the bearing to keep from damaging the bearing when removing it to adjust the shims.



The differential had been leaking from the cover so a new seal was installed after cleaning up the cover and repainting it.





That's it for today, the calipers are installed and safety wired, along with Loctite.
Cheers,
Lynn

2 comments:

  1. I think I did my output shaft bearings just the way you did: test fit everything and then added the seal once the end float was correct. That diff cover looks great and you put the little aluminum tags back in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew,
    Thanks for your thought's and advice on this, it still intrigues me as to how they did this at the factory. When I disassembled this side the nut was loose on the threads and only kept in place by the locking tab-ring which suggests that the nut has somehow come loose or the factory wan't very precise in their assembly.
    I have to assume that the tolerances weren't as important as we seem to think?
    Cheers,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete